Mexican Mushroom Blend Chilli
For the chilli
- 250g chestnut mushrooms, finely diced by hand or in a food processor
- 400g minced beef
- Olive oil
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 green pepper, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp cumin powder
- 1 tbsp chilli powder
- 1 small bottle of lager
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 4 tbsp barbecue sauce
- 50g dark chocolate
- 400g tin of red kidney beans
- Cooked rice
- Fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- Cheddar cheese, grated
- Tortilla chips
- Heat a saucepan with a little olive oil. Gently sauté the onion and green pepper until they start to soften.
- Add the mince and mushrooms and stir well. Turn the heat up and cook for a few minutes before adding the spices.
- Pour in the lager and bring to the boil. Stir in the tomato purée and cook for a minute or 2.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer, adding the barbecue sauce and dark chocolate. Stir well and leave to simmer for 20 minutes, until thickened.
- With 5 minutes remaining, add the kidney beans. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Serve with tortilla chips, fresh coriander and a good sprinkle of grated cheddar.
-TIP- If you want a smokier mince, add 1 tbsp of paprika into the meat and mushroom mix before cooking