Campaign financed with aid from the European Union. The content of this website represents the views of the author only and is his/her sole responsibility.
The European Commission does not accept any responsibility for any use that may be made of the information it contains.
A velvety coconut broth, this dish is filled with sumptuous flavours. With lemongrass, kaffir lime undertones, shallots and chillies also diced and sprinkled in, this dish is packed with powerful and wonderful flavours.
- 6 large or 12 small chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- Thumb sized piece of galangal or ginger, finely sliced
- 2 sticks of lemongrass, bruised and sliced into 3cm pieces
- 6 kaffir lime leaves, chopped
- 1 shallot, finely sliced
- 3 red chillies, finely sliced
- 2 tins of 440ml coconut milk
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 lime, juice and zest
- Dash of vegan fish sauce
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Bunch of coriander, chopped
- 200g cooked rice noodles
- Place the galangal (or ginger), lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, shallot and chillies into a saucepan along with the coconut milk and heat slowly, gently stirring occasionally.
- Cook for about 5 minutes, then add the mushrooms and bring just below the boil.
- Cook for another 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, the lime juice and fish sauce.
- Add the chopped coriander and lime zest and serve straight away with the noodles and extra lime wedges and chilli slices on the side.