Campaign financed with aid from the European Union. The content of this website represents the views of the author only and is his/her sole responsibility.
The European Commission does not accept any responsibility for any use that may be made of the information it contains.
“Did you know how mighty the mushroom is? And how easy it is to blend recipes with mushrooms? Replacing half the meat content in burgers, Bolognese etc with mushrooms lowers the fat and calorie content of a dish, increases your veg intake and provides all important B2 and B5 vitamins. It’s an easy way to reduce your meat consumption without losing flavour. This Lamb & Mushroom blend stuffed pasta Bolognese replaces half the meat with mushrooms and no one noticed! It tasted
delicious, actually even better because of the extra depth of flavour mushrooms bring.”
Courtesy of @catherine_frawley
For the Bolognese
- 250g mushrooms, finely diced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 250g lean lamb mince
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 250ml red wine
- 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 250g Conchiglioni pasta shells
For the filling
- 2 handfuls of baby spinach, roughly chopped
- Handful fresh basil, torn
- 1 lemon, zest
- 200g ricotta
- Salt and pepper
- Grated parmesan
- Fresh basil
- Heat the oil in a large pan, add the onion and carrot and sauté for 10 mins, until soft.
- Add the lamb, mushrooms, garlic and season to taste, stir together and cook for about 5 mins, add the red wine and chopped tomatoes and simmer for 30 mins.
- Meanwhile cook the pasta according to the packet, drain and allow to cool. For the filling, add all the ingredients to a bowl and mix together to combine.
- When the Bolognese is ready, transfer to a large oven dish, spread evenly in the bottom. Preheat the oven to 200C | 180C fan.
- Fill each pasta shell with a tablespoon of filling and arrange over the Bolognese. Then bake for 20 mins.