Campaign financed with aid from the European Union. The content of this website represents the views of the author only and is his/her sole responsibility.
The European Commission does not accept any responsibility for any use that may be made of the information it contains.
A creamy delectable risotto with plenty of gorgeous cheddar brings a spin to the classical North Italian dish. Filled with leeks, mushrooms and peas, this is a healthy yet filling treat.
- 200g chestnut or closed cup mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 300g Arborio rice
- 1 pack baby leeks, or 2 medium leeks, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 150ml dry white wine
- 900ml hot vegetable stock
- 100g frozen peas, thawed
- 100g mature Cheddar cheese, finely grated
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan or saucepan. Add the rice and cook gently over a low heat for 1-2 minutes, stirring all the time until it looks glossy but not browned.
- Add the leeks, garlic and mushrooms and stir for another minute or 2. Pour in the wine and allow it to bubble up, then pour in about half the hot stock. Stir well.
- Cook over a medium-low heat for 20–25 minutes, stirring often and adding the remaining stock a little at a time, until the rice has absorbed all the liquid. Check that the rice is tender. It should have a nice creamy texture, though the rice should retain a little ‘bite’. If it needs cooking for longer, add some extra stock or hot water.
- Add the peas and most of the cheese, stirring gently to mix them in. Check the seasoning, adding some pepper if needed. Serve, sprinkled with the remaining Cheddar.