Campaign financed with aid from the European Union. The content of this website represents the views of the author only and is his/her sole responsibility.
The European Commission does not accept any responsibility for any use that may be made of the information it contains.
Cook up those gorgeous exotic Moroccan flavours with this delectable Chicken and Mushroom Tagine. Filled with chicken, onions, apricots and mushrooms this will easily become a family favourite meal.
- 300g button mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 chicken breasts, cut into chunks
- 2 small onions, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 cinnamon stick (or 1 tsp cinnamon)
- 1 inch fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 1 tsp saffron (not essential)
- 100g apricots, halved
- 1 lemon, quartered
- 250ml chicken stock
- 2 tbsp tomato puree (if required)
- Large handful of coriander, roughly chopped
- Take a casserole pot that you can use on the stove or a large saucepan or frying pan with a lid. Fry the chicken olive oil until nicely browned, remove from the pan to a plate.
- Add more olive oil and gently cook the onions, garlic, cinnamon, ginger and cumin over a low heat until soft and leaves a lovely fragrant smell in the air.
- Add the chicken back to the pan with the tomatoes, saffron if using, lemon, apricots and stock. Season with salt and milled pepper and bring to a steady simmer, cook for about 25 minutes. Just before serving add the chopped coriander and serve with hot couscous.