Campaign financed with aid from the European Union. The content of this website represents the views of the author only and is his/her sole responsibility.
The European Commission does not accept any responsibility for any use that may be made of the information it contains.
Move away from the turkey this festive season and throw together this great Christmas Leftovers with Polenta. This cheesy treat is a great indulgence for you to dig into, during your festive season.
- 300g chestnut mushrooms, halved
- 150g Brussel sprouts, halved
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 200g cherry tomatoes
- 10 slices pancetta
- 1 tbsp syrupy balsamic vinegar, or balsamic glaze
For the polenta
- 500ml milk
- 500ml stock or water
- 1 tsp fine salt
- 250g instant polenta
- 50g butter
- 100g grated parmesan
- 3 sprigs thyme, leaves removed
- 1 stalk rosemary, leaves removed and finely chopped chives
- Preheat your oven to its highest setting, usually 260°C/240°C fan.
- Toss the mushrooms and sprouts with the olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper in a bowl. Transfer to a lined baking tray and cook for 20 minutes until golden brown.
- Turn the oven down to 220°C/200°C fan, and remove the tray from the oven. Add the cherry tomatoes, mix, then lay the strips of pancetta over everything and return to the oven for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven, drizzle immediately with the balsamic vinegar and toss again.
- Meanwhile make the polenta. Bring the milk and stock to the boil, add the salt. Add the polenta in a steady stream, whisking constantly. Keep stirring until thickened (this usually happens very quickly, about a minute). Then stir in the butter, Parmesan and herbs.
- Spoon the polenta onto four plates, then top with the mushroom and sprout mix, and some extra chives.