Campaign financed with aid from the European Union. The content of this website represents the views of the author only and is his/her sole responsibility.
The European Commission does not accept any responsibility for any use that may be made of the information it contains.
Just two simple ingredients of closed-cup mushrooms and caramelised shallots elevates the humble puff pastry tart to the next level, making it the perfect vegetarian lunch or dinner.
- 300g closed-cup mushrooms, sliced
- 50g butter
- 7/8 banana shallots, peeled and halved lengthways
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 250g puff pastry
- Salt and pepper to season
- Preheat the oven to 180c.
- Heat a sauté pan with the butter. Lay the shallots down evenly in a circle, flat side up.
- Evenly scatter over the mushrooms and sprinkle over the thyme. Season well.
- Cook for about 5 minutes, until the shallots start to caramelise and the mushrooms soften.
- Lay over the pastry and tuck it in all around the edges. Cook in the oven for 20 minutes or until puffed and golden brown.
- Leave to cool a little before inverting onto a plate and serve with watercress and rocket salad.