Campaign financed with aid from the European Union. The content of this website represents the views of the author only and is his/her sole responsibility.
The European Commission does not accept any responsibility for any use that may be made of the information it contains.
This very quick to make breaded mushroom snack is perfectly accompanied by a garlic dipping sauce, to make for an epic starter or sumptuous side.
For the mushrooms
- 400g medium-sized chestnut mushrooms
- 40g plain flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 100g natural dried breadcrumbs
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- Vegetable oil, for shallow frying
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the dip
- 100g mayonnaise
- 100g Greek-style natural yoghurt
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- First of all, make the dip by mixing together the mayonnaise, yoghurt, crushed garlic and parsley. Season with a little black pepper, then set aside.
- Put the flour into a large bowl and season well with salt and pepper. Rinse the mushrooms briefly with water, then toss them in the flour (the water helps the flour to stick to them).
- Beat the eggs in a separate bowl with 4 tbsp cold water. Put the breadcrumbs onto a large plate, mixing in the lemon zest. Dip the mushrooms in the beaten egg, then roll them in the breadcrumbs.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a deep frying pan or wok to a depth of approximately 4cm. When hot, add a few mushrooms and fry until golden brown – about 2-3 minutes – turning occasionally. Lift them out with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper. Fry the remaining mushrooms in batches until all of them are cooked.
- Serve hot, with the garlic mayo on the side.
- If you’re making these for a party, prepare the mayo and mushrooms ahead of time. Place the mushrooms on baking sheets and re-heat them for 5-8 minutes at 180°C, fan oven 160°C, Gas Mark 4.