Campaign financed with aid from the European Union. The content of this website represents the views of the author only and is his/her sole responsibility.
The European Commission does not accept any responsibility for any use that may be made of the information it contains.
This easy Festive Fish recipe is a great heartwarming dish packed full of gorgeous ingredients including shallots and butternut squash giving it lovely wintery flavours. Perfect to get you in the festive spirit.
For roasted veg
- 400g chestnut mushrooms, quartered and halved
- 60g butter, softened
- 3 tbsp oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced or grated
- 8 small shallots, peeled
- 500g butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1.5cm thick slices
For the fish
- 100g bacon lardons
- 4 fat filets of cod, 200g each, skin on
- 1 small bunch of flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 lemon, juice and zest
- Pre-heat your oven to 220°C/200°C fan.
- Mix the softened butter with the grated garlic in a large bowl. Add the olive oil, along with the mushrooms, shallots and butternut squash. Season with salt and pepper and toss until well coated.
- Transfer everything to a lined baking tray and roast for 25-30 minutes, turning the vegetables once. The veg is ready when the butternut squash has softened and the edges are beginning to blacken.
- Meanwhile heat ½ tbsp oil in a large frying pan until hot. Add the lardons to the pan and cook until crispy. Remove with a slotted spoon and place on a plate. Add the cod, skin side down to the pan. Cook for 2-3 mins. Flip and cook flesh side down for a further 2 mins.
- Remove the tray of veg from the oven, stir through the lardons and chopped parsley, top with the cooked cod, squeeze lemon over the top and serve.