Campaign financed with aid from the European Union. The content of this website represents the views of the author only and is his/her sole responsibility.
The European Commission does not accept any responsibility for any use that may be made of the information it contains.
PERFECT WAY TO BOIL MUSHROOMS SO THEY WORK IN ANY DISH
Cooking mushrooms can sometimes seem like a confusing task. With so many different recipes, styles and ‘right way’ methods, it’s easy to get lost in it all! However, as true mushroom experts, we have figured out the simplest and easiest way for you to cook mushrooms, and that is through the modest boiling method.
Although frying mushrooms may add more flavour to your dish and sauteeing your mushrooms will add a little extra oomph to your dishes, for something easy to follow, boiling mushrooms is also a viable method.
Boiling mushrooms provides you with beautifully soft and rich tasting veggies that can be easily seasoned and added into any meal for a juicy little treat. Find all the instructions below on how long to boil your mushrooms and how!
- First begin by cleaning your mushrooms with tissue or a quick rinse and then cut your mushrooms into desired size in preparation to cook. A recommended size would be 1 inch pieces or cut into four pieces if you are preparing a closed cup mushroom.
- Pour water into the pan so there is enough to just about cover the amount of mushrooms you want to cook (but don’t add them yet!) and wait to boil. You want your mushrooms to be crowded in the pan so find a size that is suitable for the amount of mushrooms you are cooking.
- After your water begins to boil, add in around a tablespoon of butter or oil and a teaspoon of salt. Feel free to add any other seasoning you would like to coat your mushrooms in for extra flavour. Proceed to add your mushrooms into the boiling mix.
- It will take around 15 minutes at a rolling boil to cook around ½ pound of medium sized mushrooms.
- You will know when they are cooked as your mushrooms will darken in colour and soften as the water begins to dissolve and then voila! Your mushrooms are now ready to be used in any dish you would like.
If you decide not to use all your mushrooms right away then that’s not a problem! Let them cool and refrigerate as they can last to up to five days that way.