Campaign financed with aid from the European Union. The content of this website represents the views of the author only and is his/her sole responsibility.
The European Commission does not accept any responsibility for any use that may be made of the information it contains.
Marinate the tender lamb in Indian spicy balti, and experience a wonderful concoction of flavours absorbed in the dish filled with fresh, juicy vegetables for a tantalising dinner.
For the balti
- 675g closed-cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tbsp oil
- 350g neck fillet of lamb, cut into small cubes
- 1 green pepper, de-seeded and cut into strips
- 1 red chilli pepper, de-seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
For the marinade
- 6 tbsp natural yoghurt
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Mix marinade ingredients together in a bowl.
- Stir in lamb. Cover and leave to marinate for at least 4 hours.
- Heat oil in a deep, round-bottomed frying pan, (karahi) or wok. Add lamb, leaving excess marinade in bowl. Cook lamb for 7 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in peppers, cook for 1 minute, then stir in the mushrooms and tomato purée. Cook for a further 4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Serve immediately whilst still hot.