Campaign financed with aid from the European Union. The content of this website represents the views of the author only and is his/her sole responsibility.
The European Commission does not accept any responsibility for any use that may be made of the information it contains.
Adding mushrooms to the pork mince gives these meatballs umami flavour and makes them lovely and soft.
FOR THE SAUCE
- 2 Cloves of Garlic, Grated
- ½ Tsp Chilli Flakes
- 600ml Passata
FOR THE MEATBALLS
- 1 Onion
- 1 Clove of Garlic
- ½ tsp Fennel Seeds
- Handful of Fresh Parsley
- 50g Parmesan
- 150g Chestnut Mushrooms
- 300g Pork Mince
- 60g Fresh Breadcrumbs
- 1 Egg
- ½ Tsp Fennel Seeds
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Pepper
- 150g Mozzarella
- 30g Parmesan
- Olive Oil
- Make your sauce. Heat a little olive oil in a medium sized saucepan, then add your grated garlic and chilli flakes. Cook over a medium heat for 1 minute until fragrant, then add your passata. Bring to a boil, then pop a lid on and simmer over a medium heat for 30 mins. Season to taste, then set aside.
- Whilst the sauce simmers, make your meatball mixture. Grate your onion and crush your garlic.
- Heat a little olive oil in a frying pan and add your onions. Sauté over a medium heat for a few minutes until softened, then add your garlic and fennel seeds and cook out for another two minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Grate your parmesan and chop your parsley. Place your mushrooms in the bowl of your food processor and pulse until they are finely minced.
- Tip your mushrooms into a large bowl along with your pork mince, breadcrumbs, onion and garlic mixture, parsley, parmesan, egg, salt and pepper. Combine with your hands until you have a smooth mixture.
- Roll into 12 equally sized balls, then heat a little olive oil in a frying pan over a high heat. Add your meatballs and brown on all sides until lovely and caramelised – this will take about 5 mins. They don’t need to be totally cooked through at this point.
- Arrange your meatballs in a dish and pour your tomato sauce over the top. Sprinkle with your mozzarella and parmesan, then bake for 15 mins at 200°C.
- Remove from the oven, serve with crusty bread and enjoy!