Campaign financed with aid from the European Union. The content of this website represents the views of the author only and is his/her sole responsibility.
The European Commission does not accept any responsibility for any use that may be made of the information it contains.
Have a treat this lunch time with these classic Sloppy Joe inspired baguettes that are oozing with the flavours of New York, from the rich sauce to the bold pickles for a change to your normal sandwich.
- 300g closed cup mushrooms, finely diced
- 500g beef mince
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 green pepper, deseeded and finely diced
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 mini baguettes
- Sliced pickled gherkins
- Finely sliced cheddar
- In a large bowl mix together the mushrooms and beef – it’s easiest to do with your hands.
- Heat the oil in a deep frying pan and add the onion. Fry over a gently heat for 2 to 3 minutes until just soft. Add the mushroom mix and keep cooking for another 5 minutes until the meat is browned all over and the mixture is dry.
- Add the green pepper, garlic and paprika. Stir thoroughly. Cook for a further minute.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce, puree and sugar and 2 tbsp of water. Stir again and leave to simmer for about 5 minutes until the liquid has evaporated. Season with salt and pepper.
- Half slice open the baguettes and spoon the mixture. Top with the gherkins and cheese.