Campaign financed with aid from the European Union. The content of this website represents the views of the author only and is his/her sole responsibility.
The European Commission does not accept any responsibility for any use that may be made of the information it contains.
Feed the whole family with this hearty one-pot wonder of a Mushroom and Sausage Casserole. Flavoured with mouth-watering bacon and an array of vegetables makes for the ideal winter warmer.
- 500g closed-cup mushrooms, halved or quartered
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, thickly sliced
- 8 thick pork sausages, cut in half
- 6 rashers streaky bacon, chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped thyme
- 300ml vegetable stock (or use a 330ml bottle of Guinness instead of stock as an option)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat half the oil in a large frying pan and fry the mushrooms on a high heat for about 5 minutes until golden. Season well with salt & pepper and transfer them to a large dish and set aside.
- Add the remaining oil to the pan along with the onions, sausages and bacon and fry for about 6-8 minutes until the meat is browned but not cooked through.
- Tuck the vegetable chunks around the sausages and onions, sprinkle over half the thyme and season well. Pour in the stock (or Guinness) and cover the pan with a tightly fitting lid or a large piece of foil.
- Cook over a medium heat for 15 minutes, then stir in the mushrooms, recover the pan and continue cooking for a further 10 minutes or until the veg is tender and the sausages have cooked through and almost all the liquid has evaporated.
- Stir gently to mix everything and serve sprinkled with the remaining fresh thyme and some green vegetables of your choice.