Campaign financed with aid from the European Union. The content of this website represents the views of the author only and is his/her sole responsibility.
The European Commission does not accept any responsibility for any use that may be made of the information it contains.
This Italian classic is packed with an array of delectable vegetables mixed together in a tasty tomato sauce, layered on top of soft spaghetti. Turn this dish into a vegan treat by using egg-free pasta instead!
- 200g closed cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 aubergine, finely chopped
- 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 250ml vegetable stock
- 2 tsp Italian mixed dried herbs
- 300g dried spaghetti
- 12 cherry tomatoes, halved
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Basil leaves, to garnish
- Heat the oil in a large heavy-based saucepan. Add the onion, garlic, carrot, aubergine and mushrooms. Cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato puree, stock and dried herbs. Stir well. Simmer, partially covered, for 25-30 minutes, adding a little extra water if needed.
- After 15 minutes, cook the spaghetti in plenty of boiling water for 10-12 minutes, or according to pack instructions. When it’s ready, stir the cherry tomatoes into the Bolognese sauce. Season.
- Drain the spaghetti and share it between 4 warm plates. Top with the Bolognese sauce and serve, garnished with basil leaves.
- Use egg-free pasta to make this a delicious vegan dish