Campaign financed with aid from the European Union. The content of this website represents the views of the author only and is his/her sole responsibility.
The European Commission does not accept any responsibility for any use that may be made of the information it contains.
Pack an array of scrumptious vegetables into a traditional Shepherd’s Pie as a great way to sneak healthy food into a renowned family favourite. Serve with a healthy salad for an extra nutritional kick!
- 400g button mushrooms, finely diced by hand, or in a food processor
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 400g lamb mince
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 400ml beef stock
- 600g Maris Piper potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 75g butter
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 180c.
- Sauté the onion and carrot in a little olive oil for a few minutes. Add the lamb and mushrooms, cooking on a medium high heat for 10 minutes. Season well and stir occasionally.
- Add the tomato purée and Worcestershire sauce. Cook for 1 more minute, then add the stock. Bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer, cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, boil the potatoes until soft, drain and leave to cool a little. Mash with the butter.
- Tip the meat and mushroom mince into an oven dish and top with the mash potato. Make ridges all over with the tines of a fork. Dot a little butter and black pepper over the mash.
- Cook for 20-25 minutes until golden brown and bubbling. Serve with steamed lemon broccoli.