Campaign financed with aid from the European Union. The content of this website represents the views of the author only and is his/her sole responsibility.
The European Commission does not accept any responsibility for any use that may be made of the information it contains.
Making a salad that is exciting can be a little tricky, but not with this simple but tantalising mushroom, lentil and wild rice salad that brings unusually delightful flavours to a normally drab salad.
For the curry
- 100g button mushrooms
- 100g basmati and wild rice
- 1 tin of green lentils, drained
- 100g ready to eat dried apricots, diced
- 4 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 1 jar of red peppers
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- Dash of Tabasco sauce
- 75g oyster mushrooms, torn into pieces if large
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh flat parsley
- Cook the rice in boiling water for 15 mins until just tender. Drain and rinse in a sieve until cold.
- Empty into a bowl and add the lentils, apricots and pumpkin seeds. Drain the peppers reserving 3 tbsp of the juices, mix this with the oil, garlic, vinegar and seasoning to taste.
- Slice the peppers into strips and stir into the rice with the mushrooms, parsley and dressing. Leave to marinate in the fridge for at least 30mins before serving.