Campaign financed with aid from the European Union. The content of this website represents the views of the author only and is his/her sole responsibility.
The European Commission does not accept any responsibility for any use that may be made of the information it contains.
These cheesy tarts just melt in the mouth making them a gorgeous dish to dig into. Filled with mushrooms and topped with basil pesto, this is a lovely little dish to prepare.
- 300g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 30g butter
- 500g pack ready-made puff pastry, thawed if frozen
- Flour, for dusting
- 1 egg, beaten
- 12 tsp pesto
- 200g grated mozzarella or Cheddar cheese
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200c.
- Melt the butter in a large frying pan and sauté the mushrooms for 3-4 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool.
- Roll out the puff pastry on a lightly floured surface into a rectangle measuring about 40cm x 20cm. Use a 9cm plain cutter to stamp out 12 circles (re-rolling the trimmings).
- Arrange on 1 or 2 greased baking sheets.
- On each circle, score a border 1cm from the edge, all the way round, taking care not to cut right through the pastry. Brush the border with beaten egg and spread 1 tsp of pesto sauce over the inner circle of each one.
- Spoon the cooled mushrooms on top of the pesto and sprinkle with the grated cheese. Bake for 20-25 minutes until risen and golden brown. Serve while warm
- If you’re making these for a party or buffet, make them in advance then warm them through just before serving.