Campaign financed with aid from the European Union. The content of this website represents the views of the author only and is his/her sole responsibility.
The European Commission does not accept any responsibility for any use that may be made of the information it contains.
Wake up to a healthy start with this easy breakfast bake. Loaded with protein, iron and vitamin rich spinach, this hearty breakfast meal will provide great fuel for the day ahead for the whole family.
- 300g chestnut mushrooms, halved if small, quartered if large
- 3 tbsp olive oil, reserving one 1 tbsp for brushing
- 1/2 small red onion, chopped
- 1 small leek finely sliced
- 100g spinach
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 slices crusty bread
- 150g parmesan, finely grated
- 5 large eggs
- 130ml milk
- Brush one tablespoon of oil into a 12 inch oven safe pan (or a 9×13 baking dish).
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in the onions and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add in the mushrooms and leeks and cook until they are softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in the spinach and cook until wilted, about 1 minute. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Arrange bread slices in a single layer in the skillet. Layer bread with mushroom mixture. Crack the eggs on top. Season with salt and pepper. Pour milk evenly over top and sprinkle with the cheese. Bake until the eggs are set, about 25-30 minutes.