Campaign financed with aid from the European Union. The content of this website represents the views of the author only and is his/her sole responsibility.
The European Commission does not accept any responsibility for any use that may be made of the information it contains.
These savoury tarts are full of the perfect combination of spinach and ricotta with a dashing of mushrooms, placed on a crispy pastry base, making it a delicious little treat.
- 250g brown/chestnut mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 2 tsp honey grain mustard (or mix wholegrain mustard with honey)
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 175g fresh spinach
- 150g ricotta cheese
- 2 tbsp chives, finely chopped
- ¼ tsp nutmeg, grated
- 2 medium eggs, beaten
- Salt and pepper
- 350g puff pastry
- Pre-heat oven 200ºc
- Put sliced mushrooms on a baking tray. Mix together the mustard and olive oil and drizzle over the mushrooms. Roast mushrooms until soft and all moisture has evaporated (about 15 mins)
- Rinse spinach and blanch until just losing its shape, then drain and wring out all moisture. Chop spinach finely. Mix together ricotta, spinach, chives, nutmeg and beaten eggs. Season to taste.
- Roll out pastry according to pack instructions and cut into four 18cm (6″) circles. Use the trimmings to make raised borders to each tart. Place on greased baking sheets and prick the bases with a fork.
- Fill each tart with the ricotta mixture and then spoon mushrooms on top. Bake for 20 minutes until golden.