Campaign financed with aid from the European Union. The content of this website represents the views of the author only and is his/her sole responsibility.
The European Commission does not accept any responsibility for any use that may be made of the information it contains.
Gorgeous pearl barley and earthy chestnut mushrooms are the ultimate vegetarian filling for these flavour packed stuffed peppers. Finish with a rich tomato sauce to truly bring the flavour to life.
For the stuffed peppers
- 200g chestnut mushrooms, diced
- 300ml vegetable stock
- 160g pearl barley
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 2 tbsp Ras el hanout
- 4 bell peppers, tops cut off and deseeded
For the tomato sauce
- 400g tin of plum tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Salt and pepper
- Parsley, chopped
- Heat the oven to 190c.
- Bring the stock to boil and add the pearl barley. Cook for 10 minutes until soft. Drain.
- Heat a sauté pan with the rapeseed oil. Gently fry the mushrooms for a couple of minutes. Mix in the pearl barley and Ras el hanout.
- Make the sauce by blitzing together the plum tomatoes, purée, ground coriander, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Stuff each pepper with the barley mix. Put in a small oven dish and pour over the sauce. Cook in the oven for 25 minutes, until soft but still holding their shape. Serve immediately with a good sprinkle of fresh chopped parsley.