Campaign financed with aid from the European Union. The content of this website represents the views of the author only and is his/her sole responsibility.
The European Commission does not accept any responsibility for any use that may be made of the information it contains.
Add a little oomph to your typical burger by topping off portobello mushrooms with big, bold flavours from scrumptious goats cheese to rich beetroot. Serve in a brioche bun with avocado and herby red onion.
For the ‘burgers’
- 4 portobello mushrooms
- 4 brioche buns
- 2 avocados, peeled, sliced and drizzled with lemon juice and a pinch of salt and pepper
- 2 beetroots, sliced
- Goat’s cheese, sliced into 4 discs
For the herby red onion
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 2 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- Preheat the grill to high.
- Heat a griddle pan and char the brioche buns.
- Drizzle the mushrooms with olive oil and season well. Chargrill them until soft and cooked. Set aside.
- In the same pan, add the red onion and a little dash of olive oil. Season well and cook until the onion is starting to caramelise. Remove to a bowl and stir in the herbs.
- Top each bun base with a slices of beetroot, avocado, a mushroom and the herby red onion mixture.
- Place a disc of goat’s cheese on the top, place under the grill until the cheese starts to melt and top with the other half of the bun. Serve immediately.