Campaign financed with aid from the European Union. The content of this website represents the views of the author only and is his/her sole responsibility.
The European Commission does not accept any responsibility for any use that may be made of the information it contains.
You’ll look like a professional baker with these quick to prep mushroom tarts using ready made-puff pastry for a hassle free yet impressive looking lunch!
- 300g button mushrooms, halved
- 500g pack ready-made puff pastry, thawed if frozen
- Flour, for dusting
- 1 egg, beaten
- 30g butter
- 300ml tub crème fraiche
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh chives or parsley
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 220°C, fan oven 200°C, Gas Mark 7.
- Roll out the puff pastry on a lightly floured surface into a rectangle measuring about 40cm x 20cm. Trim all the edges with a sharp knife (this will help give a good rise), then cut into 8 equal rectangles. Place onto lightly greased baking sheets.
- On each square, score a border 1cm from the edge, all the way round, taking care not to cut right through the pastry. Brush the surface with beaten egg. Bake for 20-25 minutes until risen and golden brown.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large frying pan and sauté the mushrooms for 3-4 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool.
- When the pastry tarts are cooked, carefully remove the central rectangle from each one (these are the lids). Mix the crème fraiche and chives or parsley into the mushrooms and season to taste. Spoon into the cases and pop the lids on top. Warm through in the oven for a further 4-5 minutes, then serve.