Campaign financed with aid from the European Union. The content of this website represents the views of the author only and is his/her sole responsibility.
The European Commission does not accept any responsibility for any use that may be made of the information it contains.
These crispy tartlets packed with chunky red onions and succulent mushrooms are made from quick to prep pastry shells making a gorgeous little red onion tarty treats with a little drizzle of lime to finish!
For the filling
- 250g oyster mushrooms, sliced
- 3 x 75g (3oz) red onions, each cut into 12 wedges
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp red pesto
- 1 lime, juice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
For the pastry
- 4 sheets filo pastry
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven 200º c
- Lay one sheet of filo pastry on the work surface and brush with egg white. Fold in half, then brush top with egg white. Fold in half again to give a rectangle approximately 20cm x 15cm (8” x 6”). Use to line the base and sides of a 10cm (4-inch) round loose-bottomed fluted flan tin, pressing pastry into flutes, then trim excess pastry.
- Repeat with remaining filo pastry to line three more flan tins.
- Bake in the oven for about 8 minutes.
- Remove from flan tins, carefully brush outside with egg white, then return to oven, upside down on a baking sheet for 5 minutes, until golden brown.
- Put onion wedges in a roasting tin, and then drizzle over the oil. Roast in the oven for 10-15 minutes.
- Stir in the red pesto and mushrooms. Return to the oven for 8-10 minutes.
- Spoon mixture into the warm filo pastry cases. Drizzle with lime juice.