Campaign financed with aid from the European Union. The content of this website represents the views of the author only and is his/her sole responsibility.
The European Commission does not accept any responsibility for any use that may be made of the information it contains.
An exotic mix of ingredients make this salad a wonderfully healthy treat. Sweet, sour and juicy elements all come together for a meal that can serve as a dish on its own or a side.
For the salad
- 200g closed cup mushrooms
- 200g chicken thigh fillet, finely chopped or minced
- 1 papaya, peeled, seeded and finely cut into thin strips
- 100g mange tout, sliced
- 4 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 4tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- 50g peanuts, roughly chopped
For the dressing
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 limes, zest and juice
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp palm sugar or brown sugar
- 2 tsp dried shrimp paste
- Whisk together the garlic, lime juice and zest, fish sauce, sugar and shrimp paste. Set aside
- Heat a sauté pan with a dash of oil and cook the chicken for a minute or two, stirring well to break it up
- Blitz the mushrooms in a food processor, or chop finely by hand, then add to the sauté pan and cook until the liquid has evaporated. Drain in a sieve to remove any excess liquid then leave to cool while you assemble the salad
- Mix together the papaya, mange tout, coriander and tomatoes. Stir in ¾ of the dressing then top with the peanuts.
- Gently stir through the chicken and mushroom blend and serve immediately with the remaining dressing and some extra coriander leaves