Campaign financed with aid from the European Union. The content of this website represents the views of the author only and is his/her sole responsibility.
The European Commission does not accept any responsibility for any use that may be made of the information it contains.
Quick to cook but bursting with flavour, this wholesome Thai broth is perfect for a winter’s day as a great alternative to traditional soup. Flavour with fresh lime, lemongrass and coriander to finish.
- 120g shiitake mushrooms, halved
- 100g button mushrooms, sliced
- 600ml chicken stock, chilled
- 2 chicken breast fillets, thinly sliced
- 1 root of lemongrass, thinly sliced
- 5cm piece root ginger, peeled and sliced
- 4 spring onions, trimmed and shredded
- 1 large red chilli, deseeded and sliced
- 25g fresh coriander, very roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp tom yam soup paste or 2 tbsp Thai red curry paste
- 1 tbsp nam pla (fish sauce)
- 1 lime, juice
- Wedges of lime
- Bring the stock to the boil with 300ml water. Add the chicken, lemongrass and ginger then simmer for 10 mins. Use a large slotted spoon to remove any scum which might be floating on the surface of the broth.
- Add the remaining ingredients, bring back to the boil and simmer for 5 mins. Serve in bowls topped with a sprig of fresh coriander and garnish with lime wedges.