Campaign financed with aid from the European Union. The content of this website represents the views of the author only and is his/her sole responsibility.
The European Commission does not accept any responsibility for any use that may be made of the information it contains.
This pie is the most convenient way to use up any scrumptious leftovers from Christmas dinner. Using whatever you have left in the kitchen, cook up a storm by adding a little crème fraiche, veggie’s and a sprinkling of pepper.
- 250g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 25g butter
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 300ml semi-skimmed milk
- 400ml chicken stock
- 300g crème fraiche
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp chopped thyme
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 500g cooked turkey meat, sliced into bitesize chunks
- 600g cooked veg (carrots, sprouts, swede, squash, courgette, peas, cauliflower, etc)
- 10 roast potatoes, sliced
- 50g cheddar cheese
- Olive oil, drizzle
- Preheat the oven to 180c/160c fan.
- Melt the butter in a deep frying pan and add the onion. Cook over a gentle heat, stirring constantly until the onion is just soft.
- Add the mushrooms and continue stirring until the mushrooms are just cooked. Add the garlic and flour and carry on cooking for another minute before adding the milk and stock, a little at a time, stirring to avoid lumps.
- Stir in the crème fraiche, bay leaves and thyme and season well. Add the turkey and vegetables. Transfer to an oven proof dish.
- Lay over the sliced potatoes, sprinkle over the cheese and drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes until hot and bubbling.